Re: Bash Crashes

Scott Webster Wood wrote:

I saw the following posting after experiencing a similar problem.
One of the follow ups suggested running cygwin.bat and reporting the
result, but the result is the same whether I try to run cygwin.bat,
call bash directly from a cmd.exe shell or call bash from something
like /bin/sh or /bin/tcsh:

[swood@arena ~]$ pwd
> /home/swood
> [swood@arena ~]$ /bin/bash
> bash-3.2$
[swood@arena ~]$

First point: that is not a crash. A crash shown you a message and creates a .stackdump file.

Second point: have you tried other options for calling bash? Like for instance:

bash --login -i

bash --noprofile --norc

bash --debug

Here's the cute thing. If I create a test script with #!/bin/bash at
the beginning and throw in something like a simple 'echo' command,
the script works just fine calling it by name or calling it with
/bin/bash:
> [swood@arena ~]$ cat test.sh
> #!/bin/bash echo this is a test
> [swood@arena ~]$ /bin/bash test.sh
> this is a test
> [swood@arena ~]$ ./test.sh
> this is a test

That shows that bash is OK, your problem is something else in your user configuration (another test, run bash as a different user). There's something wrong with one of .bashrc, .bash_profile, .profile, or the global ones... and is something you (or somebody with access to your computer) put there.
--
René Berber