RE: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: [experimental] cygwin-1.5.25-11

Christopher Faylor wrote on Thursday, March 06, 2008 9:57 AM:
> On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 12:43:41PM +0100, Peter Klavins wrote:
>> 1.  Since my downloads directory may contain many files, amongst
>> which other generic setup.exe's, could the cygwin setup program be
>> changed to something more related to cygwin, e.g., cygsetup.exe?
>> That would fit well with other cygwin bits like cyg*.dll and
>> cyg*.exe.  At the moment the only hint that it belongs to cygwin is
>> its icon, which you only see if you're looking at it with Explorer.
>
> No, we're not going to change the name of the program.  It's been
> called setup.exe for many years and changing the name now would be
> guaranteed to generate confusion.
>
> If mixing cygwin downloads with other downloads is causing you
> confusion then the obvious thing to do is to use another directory.

You might consider <c:\cygwin> or wherever you put the "local package
directory".  :-)

You can then set up Windows shortcuts.
(<http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2003-03/msg00526.html> has
Some related information that might be of interest.)  You don't have
to worry about setup.exe being out of date because setup.ini includes
setup version information. So setup.exe will tell you when to upgrade
it.

Or just click on "Install Cygwin now" on <http://www.cygwin.com/>.

- Barry
  -  Disclaimer:  Statements made herein are not made on behalf of NIAID.