Re: "tar --one-file-system" accesses remote file systems

"Larry Hall (Cygwin)" <reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com> wrote in message news:<47B31A8F.7060008@cygwin.com>...
> Matt Seitz (matseitz) wrote:
> > This problem and a proposed solution was mentioned in an
> > earlier e'mail (http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/1998-09/msg00839.html). Is
> > there a known solution to this issue?
>
> You can check recent (and not so recent) email archives on the subject.

I tried.  The only discussion I found was the link above.  If you can give me a pointer to another thread, I'd appreciate it.  I'll also try additional searches based on the information you gave below.

> As
> I recall, it depends on your server and it's version.  Older versions or FAT
> file-systems have their inodes "faked".  This may be the cause of the
> problem you're seeing.

Ah, yes, the mounted CIFS share is reported as a FAT file system*.  So that may be the problem.  I'll try it with a Windows server sharing an NTFS volume and see if I get a different result.

*It's actually a Network Appliance ONtap WAFL QTree, configured to use "UNIX" security model.  But ONtap reports "UNIX" QTrees as "FAT" file systems to CIFS clients.