Re: Need help with Perl/Tk

"Michael Kairys" <kairys@comcast.net> wrote in message fjsor5$p2j$1@ger.gmane.org">news:fjsor5$p2j$1@ger.gmane.org...

It's all pretty disappointing, compared to ActiveState's implementation, which looks much better and requires no setup, no extraneous directories on my path, and no otherwise uneeded daemons.

A little research reveals this issue has been around for a while and is apparently well-known by everyone but me :)

From: "Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports)" <yselkowitz at users dot sourceforge dot net>
To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 17:54:19 -0600
Subject: Re: PerlTK under Windows

Andrew DeFaria wrote:
However I'd like PerlTk to fall back to using Windows widgets much like
rxvt will do a Windows window if there is no X server to connect to.

Just how rxvt manages to use both X11 and Win32GUI is unique, as has been discussed before at length. Don't expect anything else X11 based to do that on Cygwin.

perl-Tk is X11-based because it *does not compile* on Cygwin for Win32.
PTC.