Re: "Unknown" user after logging into sshd under Vista

Daniel Noll wrote:
Hi all.

The archives do have a number of Vista-related SSH problems which have solved the issue of getting it installed, but I haven't been able to solve the issue I found next.

Here's the options I used to configure the service...

[508] daniel@Monolith:~> ssh-host-config
Overwrite existing /etc/ssh_config file? (yes/no) yes
Generating /etc/ssh_config file
Overwrite existing /etc/sshd_config file? (yes/no) yes
<cut>
Should privilege separation be used? (yes/no) yes
Generating /etc/sshd_config file
<cut>
Do you want to install sshd as service?
(Say "no" if it's already installed as service) (yes/no) yes
<cut>
Should this script create a new local account 'sshd_server' which has
the required privileges? (yes/no) yes
<cut>
Which value should the environment variable CYGWIN have when
sshd starts? It's recommended to set at least "ntsec" to be
able to change user context without password.
Default is "ntsec".  CYGWIN=
<cut>

However on logging in...
[503] daniel@Monolith:~> ssh localhost
Last login: Fri Oct  5 09:20:07 2007 from 127.0.0.1
Fanfare!!!
You are successfully logged in to this server!!!
Could not chdir to home directory /home/daniel: Permission denied
-bash: cd: /home/daniel: Permission denied

Permissions on my home directory are correct as I can get into it via Explorer. The problem is elsewhere -- if I look in the process list, the bash.exe process is running as user "(unknown)", not as my user account.

I'm not sure what to do from here. What part of Cygwin is responsible for changing the user ID when a user logs in via SSH, and what is usually responsible for it misbehaving?

OK, we now know the symptoms and the problem.  But we don't have any basic
configuration information to do some simple triage with.  In short:

Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html

Please read and follow the above guidelines, paying particular attention to the part about *attaching* cygcheck output.

In the absence of the above, my WAG is that the user you are logging in as
(domain user perhaps?) is not in your '/etc/passwd' file.  See 'man passwd'
and the Cygwin Users Guide <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/> for more
details.  Ditto for '/etc/group'.

Holliston, MA 01746