Re: sftp removing writable bit

Thorsten Kampe wrote:
* Andrew DeFaria (Thu, 13 Sep 2007 08:53:25 -0700)
Much less than the possibility of scp being present. And I'm not necessarily against the idea of "well go out and get a working copy of these programs" but often clients do not give consultants that privilege.
If your tools are limited or you do transfer just one file then scp is fine.
One file? scp can transfer whole trees...
But if you want some comfort you should go for the other ones.
My point is the chances are better that scp will "just work" while sftp probably won't be configured...
By the way: this has nothing to do with scp versus sftp. And I'm not really sure what you mean by scp - do you mean the protocol or the command line tool?
Command line tool. IOW why go through the bother to set up an sftp server (I assume that needs to be set up) and picking and getting an sftp client when in all likelihood scp is already there and ready to use. IOW what's the advantage of an sftp client over just plain scp?
Anyway: if I haven't convinced you yet that sftp can have its uses and advantages then I probably never will.
That's funny I was thinking the same thing!

Doesn't mean we can't discuss it though...
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Everybody repeat after me ...We are all individuals.