RE: Help needed with Big List of Dodgy Apps

Jim Kleckner wrote:
> Dave Korn wrote:
[...]
>>  I'm adding code to cygcheck to detect whether any of the software
that has
>> been known at some time to cause these kinds of problems are
installed on
>> the target system being cygchecked.
[...]
> Do you think a "tester" for API sanity is possible?
> i.e. make some known good calls and assert their return values or some
such.
> Is there a common way that the badly designed hooking dlls cause
problems
> or is each one quite different?

Yes, this would be very useful alone or in combination:

 Detected current or previous Frobulator AV installation:
 Some versions have been known to interfere with Cygwin.

 Checking for known problems caused by this software...

 No known interferences have not been detected, although
 if you run into any of the following symptoms, you
 should start by *completely uninstalling* the suspect
 software and trying again (simply disabling it will
 likely not correct the problem):

The problem with an Embedded Big List of Dodgy Apps is
that any software that automatically updates itself
could at any time suddenly start or stop interfering.

 Warning: you are running Windows, so it is likely
 that there is at least one Dodgy App hanging around
 somewhere. Please reboot and reinstall everything.

gsw

"Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened
by at least one instruction - from which, by induction,
it is evident that every program can be reduced to one
instruction that does not work." - Ken Arnold