Passing domain credentials for a non-domain machine (similar to mapping drives through the Windows shell)

I have a desktop that I use to access a share with domain credentials
despite not being on domain. So when I map a drive, I map it under
"domain\user" and give it the password. This drive is mapped as Z.

When I use cygwin to work on those files, it does not inherit the
permissions that I mapped the network drive under and instead insists on
using my local windows user and password (generated with mkpasswd)
rather than what I mapped Z as.

Is there an easy way to manually edit the /etc/passwd file or change how
cygwin reads the mapped volume to get it to use the same permissions
that the windows shell is using?

(I searched the archives for this....I'm sure it's been answered but I
couldn't find anything - I apologize....)

-j