Re: run-time problems with cygwin-1.5.24-2

Todd Brunhoff wrote:
Problem: after installing cygwin-1.5.24-2, most things work but I've noticed a few things that don't work: perl and subversion (svn). Specifically, the programs do absolutely nothing...
Ok, so everyone's view was generally helpful. Cygcheck pointed at two missing dlls, cygcrypt-0.dll and cygdb-4.2.dll. My belief, details below, is that two key things happened:
1. for some reason, the default download (I always download to local, then install separately for repeatability) excluded two packages: crypt and libdb2. I don't know why.
2. during the installation the cygwin setup.exe quietly skipped over these two packages, even though setup.ini marked them a dependencies of other packages, like perl and subversion.

#1 is understandable. I note that cygwin setup.exe performs a preinstall check for dependencies (after you click 'next'), and I recall it listing required packages not selected, and providing the option to install these, which I always did, but it never complained that crypt and libdb2 were unavailable. I think this is the crucial error in #2. That is, if a package is selected, and it depends on another package that has not been downloaded, the user must be given the opportunity to veto, or fix it, or continue.

Solutions as follows:
- cygcheck identified cygcrypt-0.dll and cygdb-4.2.dll as missing
- I found the packages in setup.ini, but cygwin setup.exe refused to display the packages in the installation view (it would be very useful to show packages present in setup.ini, but not available for installation, so you could fix that)
- going back to the cygwin download step, I selected the two packages and did the download
- then going back to the installation, the two packages automatically showed as candidates for install.

Perl and svn work now, and cygcheck is happy. Thanks to Reini, Thorsten and Dave for the help,

Todd