Re: how to run "make check" (bug in FAQ)

On Sun, Aug 12, 2007 at 10:25:07AM -0600, zooko wrote:
> Folks:
>
> In order to test a patch for cygwin that I wrote, I've been following the
> directions to build cygwin myself, from http://cygwin.com/faq.html "How do I
> build Cygwin on my own?".
>
> It worked to build, and then I wanted to run the tests, so followed these
> directions:
>
> > To check a cygwin1.dll, run "make check" in the winsup/testsuite
> directory.
>
> The first problem is that src/winsup/testsuite doesn't have a Makefile.
> However, the it has a Makefile.in, so I build a Makefile from that...
>
> Okay, the next problem is that src/winsup/testsuite/configure is not
> executable.
>
> After chmod +x ./configure and executing "./configure
> --prefix=/oss/install", then there is a Makefile, but when I run "make
> check", it fails with:

The FAQ makes it pretty clear that "You must build cygwin in a separate
directory from the source".  You shouldn't be running configure in a
source directory.

I've modified the FAQ source to say: 'To check a cygwin1.dll, run "make
check" in the build/i?86*cygwin/winsup directory created after running
make above.'  That is what you need to do.

cgf