Re: OpenSSH on Windows XP SP2 problems

On Jul 20, 2007, at 10:37 AM, Dave Korn wrote:

On 20 July 2007 16:25, Michael Grubb wrote:

Ok,
I'm about at wits end on this one I can't seem to figure out what's
going on.

BTW, this was an "I'm frustrated and pulling my hair out please help", not an "I'm angry this is broke, fix it".

I've had the openssh server running on the same version of windows
(Windows XP Pro SP2 fully patched) for quite some time.
The first time I installed it using the instructions at http://
pigtail.net/LRP/printsrv/cygwin-sshd.html which worked beautifully.
This time however, I'm having issues.  After following the
instructions I was first presented with issues dealing with the
privilege separation feature.
I've got those worked out and now have a more serious trouble that
I'm not sure where to proceed from here.

Ok, so you followed a bunch of non-standard and unsupported instructions to
install sshd, then something happened which you don't tell us anything about
except that it was to do with privsep, then you did some other stuff to it
that you also don't tell us about it, but apparently it solved whatever it was
that was the problem that you didn't tell us about, and now it doesn't work.
So the answer is "It could be a problem in one of the bits you didn't tell us
about". Or it might not.

To clarify the OP:
I had this configuration working on a previous installation. To my knowledge they were the same versions of cygwin/openssh as what I'm running now. If they weren't the same versions, it couldn't be far off at any rate. I had to reload my OS from the ground up. I am now getting an error regarding not able to bind to any address.

No, I did what /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README says to do (but took instruction from someone who actually knows how to write configuration documentation. The contents of openssh.README is certainly informative, but contains no true instruction. At least not how to configure the server process in an easy to follow format. That file says to use the ssh-host-config script, which I did. It installed a windows service, and just as your documentation suggests it is running sshd with the -D option (or so cygrunsrv -Q sshd suggests). I'm sorry but if you want folks to follow your "instructions" then perhaps you should improve them to be a bit more instructive. As for elaborating on the privilege separation issue, there seemed no need. I've determined through my own troubleshooting that it isn't the culprit. Or perhaps I should say I'm no longer getting an error message.
But, to deal with the privilege separation issues I've tried two approaches. First, I fixed the ownerships on /var/empty to be system.system, that halted the error messages regarding privilege separation. Then I started getting the messages I pasted in my original post, about not binding to any address. I took the additional step to disable privilege separation altogether thinking that it may be causing some "behind the scenes" problems. That didn't help.

debug1: Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0.
Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0 failed: Bad address.
Cannot bind any address.

I've tried explicitly adding my IP address with the ListenAddress
directive in the /etc/sshd_config file.  I've tried altering the port
number to a non-privileged port.
I can't seem to get anything to work.  I'm running the latest version
of cygwin from cygwin.com.

Have you allowed an exception for sshd in the windows firewall?

Yes, I have added both a program and a port exception, neither of which has caused any change.

I did download another project OpenSSH for windows, which seems to be
based off cygwin. It used an older version of openssh as well as the
cygwin DLL, I believe, as they didn't really like having each other
installed at the same time.

Yes, that's pretty much guaranteed fatal. Have you removed this older
version? Is it in the PATH settings? More vital information you don't seem
to think anybody would need...

Yes, I have removed the other product from the system completely. I have ensured that no other cygwin1.DLL file is present on the system (aside from c:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll). I did fail to mention in the OP that I had completely removed the other product, it is no longer causing conflicts. I included that information to show that I can get other versions of ssh/cygwin to work just not this particular combination on this particular installation of the OS for some reason.

Also an excerpt of one of the event log entries for the failed service start attempt:
The following information is part of the event: sshd: PID 2700: `sshd' service stopped, exit status: 255.

I've also attached the requested output of cygcheck -s -v -r.

So I'm not sure where the root cause of the problem lies in this case.

Owing to the lack of information and the vast number of unknowns in your
description of the problem, neither is anyone else! If it isn't a firewall
configuration issue, it could be any number of things; a good place to start
would be by sending your cygcheck output as an attachment with your next post,
as described at http://cygwin.com/problems.html.

cheers, DaveK -- Can't think of a witty .sigline today....