RE: gcc error in Cygwin

On 15 July 2007 22:08, ppanta wrote:

> I'm using the makefile that came with the code I'm working on and I cant
> seem to get it working
> in the Cygwin system even though it works perfectly fine in SUN.

  That's because it was written for Sun's C compiler and not gcc, and Sun uses
Sun's C compiler and Cygwin uses gcc.

> The errors I received state something like
>
> cc: Unrecognized option '-Xc'
> cc: language 04 not recognized
> linker input file unused because linking not done

> CFLAGS		=	-xO4 -dalign -fsimple -fsingle -v -Xc

  Yep, gcc understands different command-line options from Sun's compiler.
This isn't a Sun mailing list, so there's no guarantee anyone round here will
know what those are supposed to do.

> Note that I dont know most of what the options do. So if you can point me to
> a good reference I'd be greatly appreciate.

  Yep, there's a good reference, it's called 'TFM'.  Read the docs for the Sun
compiler, see what those options do, read the docs for gcc, see how to achieve
equivalent effect using options for gcc, edit the makefile to replace the one
by the other.

  Docs for gcc can be called up on cygwin using "info gcc".  I don't know what
documentation system your Sun uses but "man cc" is almost bound to work.

    cheers,
      DaveK