Re: Version mismatch error

Gary Fritz wrote:
My Cygwin installation has been working just fine for many months. Today it
suddenly stopped working, with the dreaded "system shared memory version
mismatch detected" error.

I installed a copy of Exact Audio Copy and LAME today, so possibly one of
those triggered it?

I followed the instructions in the error message, and deleted all copies of
cygwin1.dll except the one in C:\cygwin\bin. (The only other ones were
basically backup copies. They had been there for ages and AFAIK were not
involved in the problem.) I then rebooted and tried again. Didn't help.

I dug around with Google, looked in the FAQ, etc, and removing extra
cygwin1.dll's & rebooting is all anybody suggests. If that doesn't help, what
do I do next?

Look again.  Concentrate on the areas that recently changed, like the
software above that you just installed.  'cygcheck -srv' should tell you
whether you have multiple cygwin1.dlls and where they are.  Also keep in
mind that Windows, by default, likes to hide extensions (in the explorer
shell) and system files by default.  If you haven't done so already, turn
these options off in the Windows explorer.

I would like to just do an "update everything to current release" with
setup.exe, but I don't see any way to do that. What's the right way to update
all installed packages?

Start 'setup.exe', choose a mirror, "Next" until you can't "Next" no more.
I know.  It's allot of work.  But you can do it! ;-)

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746