Re: Problem with Cygwin installation for domain user

aviad rozenhek wrote:
Hi,
I've been using cygwin for several years, and I absolutely love it. thanks!
I have installed cygwin on XP machine at work, and ran into
setup/configuration problem, Basically its the  Your group name is
currently "mkpasswd" issue.

I tried the following things:

mkpasswd -l > /etc/passwd
mkgroup  -l  > /etc/group

doen't change anything, I still get the message, so I tried
$ mkpasswd.exe -l -d > /etc/passwd

this failed with "mkpasswd (264): [5] Access is denied." (see attached 1.txt and 1.strace.txt)

so I also tried
$ mkpasswd.exe -l -c > /etc/passwd
$ mkgroup.exe -l -c > /etc/group

but that doesn't work becaue on next login I get:

Your group name is currently "mkgroup_l_d". This indicates that not
all domain users and groups are listed in the /etc/passwd and
/etc/group files.
See the man pages for mkpasswd and mkgroup then, for example, run
mkpasswd -l -d > /etc/passwd
mkgroup  -l -d > /etc/group

This message is only displayed once (unless you recreate /etc/group)
and can be safely ignored.

and my home directory is set to /cygdrive/h (?)

I would appreciate any help,
especially soothing would be to find that my home directory is at
c:\cygwin\homes\aviad

the same as it would have been had I been a local rather than a domain user

Your home directory is coming from the Windows domain information.  You can
change it to be whatever you want either by specifying the 'p' flag to
'mkpasswd' or by editing the '/etc/passwd' file afterwards.

As for the problem with the groups, it sounds like a problem with your
PDC.  Is it up/accessible?

Holliston, MA 01746