Re: Cygwin NFS file size limit ?

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007, Pieter Donche wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a limit as to the size of a single file that can be
> created on a Cygwin NFS exported directory ?
>
> I have Cygwin 1.5.24-1 on Windows2003 server, using NFS services.
>
> When using unix ufsdump command to dump a local unix file system
> (ufsdump writes into a single file) into a Cygwin NFS mounted directory,
> the ufsdump issues an error message:
>   DUMP: 24.10% done, finished in 0:31
>   DUMP: Write error 7602060 blocks into volume 1
>
> It wrote only 2 Gb (should also be 6.5 Gb)
> There is plenty of free space available on the server.
>
> When using standard unix cp:
> $ cp backup.dmp /mnt
> with backup.dmp the same 6,5 Gb file (this is the ufsdump created first
> into a file on the local disk), also after some 5 minutes, a message
> cp: /mnt/file.dmp: Invalid argument
> is given, the command aborted, and leaving no (part of) backup.dmp file in
> /mnt.

I may be off the mark here, but IIRC, nfs-server is a pretty old package
and hasn't been updated in a while, so it may still be compiled against
the older versions of Cygwin that didn't have 64-bit IO.  Running nm on
the nfs-server executable (which I currently don't have installed, so
can't do this myself) should show whether I'm right.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

Freedom is just another word for "nothing left to lose"...  -- Janis Joplin