Re: Problem with finding mirror lists using setup.exe

"James Sherman Jr." wrote:

> Can't get list of download sites.
> Make sure your network settings are correct and try again.

I'm not sure what would be causing that.  I have a VMware Vista install
that I use for testing setup and I can't reproduce this, both with UAC
disabled or enabled.  I didn't have a need to do anything special such
as "run with administrator privileges", but I think this happens
automatically when the binary is called "setup.exe".

You should of course try a development snapshot of setup
<http://cygwin.com/setup/snapshots/> but I can't think of anything that
would have changed in this area.  You can also try putting a copy of the
mirrors.lst file as /etc/setup/mirrors-lst and setup would then use this
cached copy of the list.  But as to why it can't fetch the URL itself, I
have no idea.  It could be some quirk of your networking setup.

As an additional workaround, you can download the packages using any
method you want such as wget (or running setup in Download Only mode on
another PC) and then run setup on the problematic PC in Install From
Local Directory mode to bypass the need to fetch anything online.

Brian