RE: Problem of compiling and linking the C/C++ program using WIN32API with GCC

On 28 May 2007 14:42, Alain Nguyen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a new CYGWIN user.
>
> I actually tried to compile and link a C/C++ program using the 'w32api',
> more exactly, the '/lib/w32api/libws2_32.a' library, with the following
> command:
>
>             $gcc   -o myprogram   -lws2_32    -c myprogram.c
>
> But, I always got the error messages from the 'ld' linker dynamic, such as:

  No you don't, not with that command, because the -c tells gcc not to invoke
the linker.  You would in fact get the error message "gcc: -lws2_32: linker
input file unused because linking not done".

>     -         "Undefined reference to 'WSAcleanup@0'"
>     -         "Undefined reference to 'WSAstartup@8'"
>     -         "Undefined reference to '_inet_addr@4'"
>     -         "Undefined reference to '_socket@12'"
>     -         "Undefined reference to '_connect@12'"
>     -         etc...
>
>     "collect2: ld returned 1 exit status"
>
> This means that the linker dynamic 'ld' is unable to find and open the
> corresponding 'libws2_32.a' library file.

  Nope, it means it opens it, reads any functions out of it that are already
required by earlier inputs, closes it, then opens your program file and fails
to link.  Ordering of linker inputs is significant, dependencies must come
after the things that depend on them and generally this means that libs should
always come last.  Try

gcc   -o myprogram   myprogram.c -lws2_32

    cheers,
      DaveK