password authentication fails in cygwin openssh windows xp pro

Hello,

I could really use some help with cygwin openssh on windows XP pro. I've been trying for nearly 5 days now to get this to work and it just won't. I've read most posts and tried a number of different things.

my ssh version is openssh_4.6p1 open ssl 0.9.8e (23 Feb, 2007)

CYGWIN installs fine.
I selected packages cygrunsrv, nano, openssh, openssl, rsync, tcp-wrappers, and the dependencies that go with them.

After installation I changed the path statement in Windows to include c:\cygwin\bin

here it is
C:\Program Files\UVP Inc\;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel;C:\Program Files\Common Files\GTK\2.0\bin;C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\MailFrontier;C:\cygwin\bin

Checked and the only version of cygwin1.dll on my system is the one in c:\cygwin\bin

I created an environment variable named CYGWIN and set its value to ntsec tty

ran ssh-host-config and answered yes to all questions including privilege separation
When asked for the value of CYGWIN I again typed ntsec tty

At this point I can start the sshd service (cygrunsrv -S sshd) but if I try to login (ssh localhost) I get a password prompt and it fails.

So, I made a new user named sshdproc, gave it the administrators password, and put it in the administrators group and gave it the following rights:

Create a token object
Log on as a service
Replace a process level token
Act as part of the operating system
Deny log on locally
Deny access to this computer from the network

Then I changed the sshd service logon to logon as sshdproc
mkpasswd -l | grep sshdproc >> /etc/passwd
touch /var/log/sshd.log <enter>'
chmod 644 /var/log/sshd.log
chown sshdproc /var/empty /var/log/sshd.log /etc/ssh_*

now I can start the sshd service, it runs as sshdproc, but still when I ssh localhost I get prompted and my password fails

so I ssh-user-config

still no joy.....

Can someone please give me some advice on where to go from here. I don't know what else to try and I don't know how to troubleshoot why my password is failing to authenticate.

Thanks

Dan