Newbie question on current version running established perl program

Thank you very much for your help.

Very new user installing cygwin for the first time on
new pc.  Trying to run perl program that has been used
a number of times (probably not the problem)

Followed all the instructions on install and all
instructions in faq and user docs that could assist.

Installed the base and all the packages with 'perl' in
the name plus a bunch of other ones.

to run my program, I was instructed to use command:

$ perl preprocesstest.pl -o buffer -n 2 -t 00:00:000
-l 300

(-o = output, -n = number in test, -t = start time, -l
= length of time of test)

system returns:

bash perl: command not found

I looked this up and tried another instruction adding
./ before the line to make:

$ ./perl preprocesstest.pl -o buffer -n 2 -t 00:00:000
-l 300

This gave me a new error message:

bash: ./perl:  no such file or directory

I followed instructions in the FAQ for another fix for
this specific question, to enter in 2 lines of code.
FAQ# 37 as copied below.  I didn't get the warnings
and it seemed take the commands fine.  Got the same
error messages, though.

Thank you very much for your assisntance.

Yours,

Jennifer

********************************
copied line from faq

37:  info error "dir: No such file or directory"

 Cygwin packages install their info documentation in
the /usr/share/info directory. But you need to create
a dir file there before the standalone info program
(probably /usr/bin/info) can be used to read those
info files. This is how you do it:

	bash$ cd /usr/share/info
	bash$ for f in *.info ; do install-info $f dir ; done

This may generate warnings:

	install-info: warning: no info dir entry in
`gzip.info'
	install-info: warning: no info dir entry in
`time.info'

The install-info command cannot parse these files, so
you will have to add their entries to
/usr/share/info/dir by hand.