Re: \r in variables and test

[Samuel Thibault]
In a ./configure script, I call a test program (native python, actually)
that outputs "True\r\n" and I put this result in variable foo. The
problem is that [ "$foo" = True ] doesn't return true because foo
actually contains True\r, not True.

[Michael Hoffman]
* [ ${foo/%$'\r'/} = True ]

[Samuel Thibault]
This looks saner, but shouldn't the test program always do this itself?

Well it's not test (or even the test built-in in bash) that strips out \n, but bash when you originally represent the output of the command in a variable. I don't know whether it would be a good idea for it to strip \r as well.

Anyhow, the place that needs to be fixed is rather
/us/share/autoconf-archive/ac_python_devel.m4

I think what needs to be fixed is the expectation that you can mix non-Cygwin Python with Cygwin everything else and things will work seamlessly. ;)
--
Michael