Re: dealing with spaces in paths

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

> David Bear wrote:
>> I'm attempting to script building mount points in order to handle spaces
>> in file names. So I do something like this:
>>
>> homedir=`cygpath -w $USERPROFILE`
>> mount -buf "\"$homedir\" $HOME/myh
>>
>> When I echo the mount command to the syntax looks correct.
>>
>> However, when I actually run the mount command via the script I get the
>> message there are not enough parameters, like mount is not getting what
>> it needs.
>>
>> Dealing with spaces is a huge pain... but this seems be one way to handle
>> them. Any idea why mount is unhappy when scripted as shown above?
>>

> Quote $USERPROFILE.  Loose the '\'s around $homedir.  Make sure that there
> is only 1 quote preceding $homedir.

since the homedir does have spaces in it, you need to enclose it in quotes
to prevent mount for assuming that each separate word in the path is a new
mount point. There is a sample of it at
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.os.cygwin/54674

the \" escapes the " so that it is passed through to the command line the
script generates.

when I leave out the quotes -- I get multiple lines and multiple errors from
the script.

David Bear
College of Public Programs at Arizona State University