Re: Weird cosmetic bug after viewing bash man page

Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
Aaron Humphrey wrote on Friday, December 15, 2006 5:34 PM:
Oddly enough, it seems to. In fact, just adding the '-c' option to
NROFF in man.conf, without having to remove '-Tlatin' or add the '2>
/dev/null' (which I'm not sure would work under tcsh anyway).

I'm confused; wasn't that (use '-c') what I originally said the solution seemed to be?

So why do I have to 'revert to the old behaviour of grotty', which is
what the nroff -c seems to be doing, before man will bold things
properly?

No idea. But does it fix the prompt problem? (Or has that already been fixed and I missed it?)

The prompt problem was (AFAICT) caused by man failing to turn off bold (at least that's what Aaron apparently confirmed). Anyway, from what I can see, '-c' causes a totally different 'style' of output to be produced that 'less' understands, which is why this makes the problem go away.

Personally, I have never heard of '\e[22' turning off bold. My guess would be that the real solution here is to fix the TERMINFO database.

--
Matthew
What? This signature /again/?