Re: bash CRLF problems (I have read the recent announcement)

On 12/5/06, Kevin Layer <layer at franz.com> wrote:
Larry Hall (Cygwin) <reply-to-list-only-lh at cygwin.com> wrote:

>> > version=`cat foo1.out`
>> Time to adjust your expectations. ;-)  Text mounts write CRNL as EOLs
>> for all files that are not explicitly opened as binary (or text for
>> that matter).  Text mounts remove the CR from EOLs read from files that
>> are not explicitly opened as binary (or text).  'cat' explicitly opens
>> the file as binary.

What is the portable way to get the contents of foo1.out into a
variable, getting proper translation of the end of lines?  (If the
answer is use `d2u' that is not portable.)  I thought I was safe by
using text mounts--I spent quite a while looking at the archives
before posting and thought I had covered all bases.

Kevin

if you change the echo's to "echo -n" you don't get the ^M chars, as it surpresses the CR in the output. is this possible on the "real" scripts you talk about, or is the version generating script/app not changeable?

$ cat foo1.sh
echo -n 8010 > foo1.out

$ cat foo2.sh
sh foo1.sh
version=`cat  foo1.out`
echo -n ${version}.bar > foo2.out
cat -v foo2.out

$ sh foo2.sh
8010.bar

alternate solutions to using cat (which allow the \r\n in foo1.out) :
version=`cut -f1 foo1.out`
version=`awk '{print $1}' foo1.out`
version=`sed -n '1p'  foo1.out`

cat is doing what it's supposed to, putting the whole file in the variable.
don't use it. if you can't change the \r\n from your version file, use one
of the alternatives.

mark