RE: How do I get cron working under Cygwin?

On 23 November 2006 17:27, PC Support wrote:

> The message I am getting from WinXP Event Viewer for Applications is:
>
> The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( /usr/sbin/cron ) cannot
> be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
> information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
> computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this
> description; see Help and Support for details. The following information
> is part of the event: /usr/sbin/cron: PID 9004: (<user>) MAIL (mailed 39
> bytes of output but got status 0x0001
> ).

> I have also run cron-config manually.  I do not have sendmail installed
> but otherwise it reports that there are no problems with the setup.

  I believe cron fails if it can't mail the output to the user.  Take a look
at the cron diagnose output:

> The owner and the Administrators need
> to have ..x permission to /usr/sbin/sendmail.
> Here are the current permissions:

  (i.e. none, because the file does not exist).

> Please change the user and/or group ownership and
> permissions of /usr/sbin/sendmail, and then run this script again.
>      ssmtp and exim are suitable mailers.
>
> This script did not find any errors in your cron setup.

  This is perhaps slightly misleading, but technically correct: the problem is
not with your cron setup, it is with your mailer setup.

> If you are running cron as yourself,
> /usr/sbin/sendmail should point to an executable mailer

  IIUIC, this advice is not optional.  Install ssmtp like it suggested and try
again.

    cheers,
      DaveK