Re: Need Help Identifying X based packages

Bryan wrote:
Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
Bryan wrote:
Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
Bryan Dunphy wrote:
I need to install a CLI only version of cygwin. How can I identify X based packages so as not to accidentally install them?

Don't install those in the X category in 'setup.exe'.

I tried that, it still installed some parts of X

Like?

You can always look at 'setup.ini' to find out who depends on X stuff.
If you're just getting the base X server and friends, that doesn't
occupy allot of space (a few MBs I believe).  If you're getting X apps
though, well then that's a different story. ;-)

there are files under /etc/X11, and /usr/X11R6/ (including a bin directory) I can post a complete directory listing if you want.

No, that's not necessary.  If you can localize the files as you state,
then you can certainly determine the packages they come from using
'cygcheck'  (see 'man cygcheck') or <http://cygwin.com/packages/>.
Once you have the package(s) from which these files came, you can
look in 'setup.ini', which you'll find in you local download directory,
to find which other packages have this one (or ones) in their "requires"
line.  If you find one that is not in the X category, then that would be
one "culprit".  It may turn out, however, that the package belongs to
more than 1 category, in which case things are as they should be. ;-)
Regardless, this procedure should give you the information you're looking
for.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746