Re: Is "inetd" usable with cygwin?

"Larry Hall (Cygwin)" <reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com> wrote in message
453E6100.2090906@cygwin.com">news:453E6100.2090906@cygwin.com...
> Dave Down wrote:
>> I'm a new cygwin user but I'm a long term windows user and have worked
>> with
>> unix/linux in the past.  I can use the cygwin network clients, but I'm
>> confused about the server daemons.  On regular linux systems, "inetd" is
>> started automatically, but it isn't with cygwin .  I looked for
>> information
>> about this in the user manual, but didn't see it mentioned.
>>
>> I then looked around in files and found in "inetd.conf" that the command
>> "net start inetd" should start it, but when I enter the command, I get
>> the
>> error "The service name is invalid." from the windows net utility and I
>> didn't find documentation for installing it as a service.
>>
>> So, is "inetd" not usable with cygwin or is there somewhere that I can
>> read
>> about how to set it up?  Does it conflict with windows network services?
>> can start the windows telnet server and log in from another computer that
>> way and the Xwindows features of cygwin are working fine, so I'd expect
>> the
>> others like "ftpd" should be usable too.
>>
>> I'll continue to dig around trying to find answers, but if someone would
>> spend a few minutes to save me many more hours of frustration, I'd
>> appreciate it...
>
> Read '/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/inetutils-1.3.2.README' and then use
> '/usr/bin/iu-config' to configure it.  Do the first thing first and
> the second thing second to avoid tripping and falling.  Also, don't
> run with scissors! ;-)

Thanks for the quick reply, the README file was the info I was looking for.
However, after following the instructions for WinXP, "net start inetd"
produces the error "The service is not responding to the control function".
I also added syslogd as a service and it starts up fine.  I also tried
xinetd and it handles all of the internal services fine, but none of the
external ones.  I'm wondering of files permissions might be a factor here?