wxwidgets configure script won't run, syntax errors

Hi All,

I'm new to cygwin, so my problem below is probably quite simple to
solve. I have installed cygwin recently, downloaded from one of the
mirrors. The version reported by uname -a is NT-5.1.

I also got the latest wxwidgets from www.wxwidgets.org
(wxMSW-2.6.3), however I don't think my problem is at all related to
wxwidgets.

The problem is, the gnu configure script included with wxwidgets
won't run, giving a syntax error:

bash-3.1$ ./configure
: command not found4:
./configure: line 22: syntax error near unexpected token `elif'
./configure: line 22: `elif test -n "${BASH_VERSION+set}" && (set -o
posix) >/de
'/null 2>&1; then
bash-3.1$

Now, afaik 'elif' is valid syntax for sh/bash.. In fact, any gnu
configure script has this syntax.

My guess is that there is some basic thing I missed in setting up
the cygwin environment, and I'm hoping someone on the list knows.

I've searched the mailing list archive, to no avail. Also, google is
not my friend in this case.

Sorry for wasting time!

Best,

Koen Martens