Re: Cygwin and Portaudio

Hugh wrote:
Eric Blake <ebb9 <at> byu.net> writes:

Welcome to dynamic libraries.  If you compile against a dll, then the dll
must be present to run the binary.  You can see if you can try and force a
static compile, but the result will be that your binary is bigger, and
that you no longer automatically pick up any library updates.

Hi Eric,

Thankyou for your reply.  I compiled a static version of Portaudio and installed
it, but compiling my sources against Portaudio caused some errors to peak from
the Portaudio static sources.

I am most likely going to use the shared libraries, because then I can easily
update the libraries as needed.  Is that your recommendation?

Recommendation?  What you do is at your discretion, based on what your
needs are.  As you've found and as Eric has already pointed out, there
are trade-offs either way.  So what Eric has offered is advice.  But if
you need a recommendation then, sure dynamic libraries is a good way to
go.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746