Re: Trouble with the g++ compiler

-Patrick wrote:

> It appears the cygwin version is significantly different as I get an
> error while compiling C++ code that Ive used an overloaded function and Im
> certain I am not. My school's server that appears to run the correct
> version does not produced this error upon compilation.
>
> How do fix it?
>
> School version:
> gcc version 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-3)
>
> Cygwin's version:
> gcc version 3.4.4 (cygming special) (gdc 0.12, using dmd 0.125)

You've posted to the xfree list which is a mailing list for using X11
applications with Cygwin.  This has nothing to do with gcc or C++, so
it's off-topic here.  A better place would be the main Cygwin list
(cygwin at cygwin dot com) or the gcc help list (gcc-help at gcc dot gnu
dot org).  I've CCd the former.

You've not provided nearly enough information for anyone to be able to
help you.  "I get an error while compiling C++" code is not specific
enough.  Copy and paste the *exact* command you use to compile as well
as the *exact* error message that results.  Show the code in question,
if possible simplifying it down to a testcase that demonstrates the
problem as minimally as possible.  Without this level of detail, or
barring the invention of mind reading technology, nobody will have
enough to go on.

I also urge you to thoroughly read
<http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/> which seems to cover 99% of the
problems people encounter when dealing with C++ errors and gotchas.

Brian