Re: Bash fails to run .bat file with spaces in pathname and argument

That is strange quoting syntax, with carets, but it works. I wonder why the last caret is needed, which does seem to be required. Thank you for giving this to me, since I had not seen this example.

None of the solutions using cmd are great, because it can be hard to explain such things to customers.

Johnathon

Thorsten Kampe wrote:
* Johnathon Jamison (Wed, 11 Oct 2006 14:11:12 -0700)
I am having some funny behavior. If I have a .bat file that is in a directory whose pathname contains a space, and an argument is given to the .bat file that has a space in it, then the .bat file fails to run. Instead, I get "'xxx' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." where xxx is the portion of the complete path to the .bat file before the first space.

I am not sure why this is occurring. Any help would be appreciated. I have more specific information and a sample run below. If I have left anything out, just ask. In particular, I am not sure which version numbers would be needed, or where to find (many of) them.

Try escaping the spaces and some of the quotes. wfm in the other test case mentioned:
cmd /c "F:\tmp\dir^ with^ space\test.bat^" "Hello, world."