RE: gcc build problem - make vpath

On 03 October 2006 20:27, Michael Eager wrote:

> Dave Korn wrote:
>> On 03 October 2006 03:10, Michael Eager wrote:
>
>>> It looks like make is not recognizing VPATH correctly.
>>> I'm using make-3.80-1.
>>
>>   This is unlikely.  Gcc is known to build on cygwin.  I do it all the time
>> and it has no problem for me.  Perhaps something else is underlying.
>
> I've also built GCC on Cygwin a number of times without problem
> until I updated Cygwin, which installed make-3.81.  The changes in
> make-3.81 cause problems with another makefile which uses DOS paths
> containing variables (%name), so I uninstalled make-3.81 and installed
> make-3.80 binaries from mozilla.org.
>
> I reinstalled make-3.81.  The problem is gone.
>
> I don't have the option of re-writing the makefiles which use
> DOS paths to make them compatible with make-3.81.
>
> Is there a working version of make-3.80 available?  Is there
> any option which will make make-3.81 treat DOS variables the
> same as in make-3.80?

  Ok, I cannot even begin to make sense out of this.  You first said you were
having a problem building gcc with 3.80-1.  Now you say 3.80 works fine and
3.81 caused the problem.  Next, you say the problem wasn't to do with gcc but
some other makefile.  Then you said that 3.81 didn't cause the problem.

  Maybe you should try and explain it over again, from the beginning?

    cheers,
      DaveK