RE: Bash 3.1.17(8) CR/LF problem

[snip]
> > I guess I'm 50/50 here. On one hand <CR> is most certainly not a
> > standard line terminator character on Unix systems, but at the same
> > time Cygwin advertises a "collection of tools which provide
> Linux look
> > and feel" for Windows.
>
> Here's my take on it.  If you want POSIX behavior and Linux
> compatibility, use binary mounts and LF line endings, and
> don't edit files with notepad.

Actually, it would be: "don't use notepad at all, don't create any text
files you want bash to understand with any native Windows text editor, and
if you are going to use a native Windows text editor to edit files you want
bash to understand, make sure it maintains the original line endings.  Also,
make sure any other tools you might wish to use to process text, cygwin or
non-cygwin, do the same."

The "/r/n vs /n vs /r" Crisis Which Shall Plague Computer Science Forever is
most assuredly not merely a matter of "don't use notepad".

--
Gary R. Van Sickle