Re: [OT] spam replies

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
René Berber wrote:
Charli Li wrote:
[snip]
Please don't quote raw email addresses (aka:
http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR)!  This is an anti-spam
measure used by the Cygwin lists (and probably the rest of sourceware's
lists).

http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU

Could I get a new acronym over here?  PCYMTSTRTFTTCML (Please Configure
Your Mailer To Set The Reply-To Field To The Cygwin Mailing List).

What about "Please don't reply to messages if you are not going to answer anything, just add spam to this list".

Won't that leave the list without any traffic? ;-)

But seriously, unless you mean this in a rhetorical sense, I don't see any
practical way of enforcing such a rule. I can understand the sentiment but
who's to say what's spam and what's not. For instance, I myself have been
accused of as much on this list. Rightly or not, I cannot say (obviously I'm
not the best one to judge that ;-) ). But I think this is just one of those
little evils that we have to deal with on a one by one basis. Anything else
would likely just shut down the list, IMO, as the cries of spam become at
least as much trouble as the messages now that some majority may consider
spam.

On the other hand, PCYMTNSS (Please Configure Your Mailer To Not Send Spam)
does have a nice ring to it. ;-)

Ugh! A duplicate message sent in reply to such a thread. That has to be spam, right? ;-) My sincerest of apologies to all!

Holliston, MA 01746