RE: Color Schemes

I'm starting cygwin from the Start menu that cygwin installed, which windows
'properties' show as mapped to:
C:\cygwin\cygwin.bat

I used the 'Properties' in that window to get the scheme I wanted, and
applied to the thingie that launched this shell.

I've also modified the 'properties' from the Start menu item directly, and
clicked on the pretty color icons instead of typing the digits, as suggested.

It "works", even on launching another, in that I can change the color scheme
of the bash shell any way I like, but it has no effect I can tell on the ANSI
colors of termcap which define 'less' behaviour, nor the LS_COLORS that
define 'ls' behaviour.

My 'man man' output now looks like this:

-------------------
 man - format and display the on-line manual pages

 man [            ] [      ] [   system] [   string] [   config_file] [
pathlist] [   pager] [   section_list] [section] name ...
-------------------

Note that all the things that 'less' would reverse-video are effectively
"invisible"

Adding alias less = 'less -r' in ~/.bashrc had no effect:

$ grep less .bashrc
# alias less='less -r'                          # raw control characters
alias less='less -r'

-R was equally ineffective

Fixing 'ls' is do-able, I guess.

Editing /etc/termcap by hand, however, is way beyond my skill level, and I
been doing this stuff for a couple decades...

One work-around:
man XYZ > XYZ.out

Then, in vi XYZ.out (or editor of choice) replace '^H.' with nothing.

E.g., in vi:

:%s/^H.//g

To get ^H, one must type control-v control-h

The '.' matches any characters, as, apparently, the sequence x^Hx indicates
the reverse video to 'less'

This is not, however, a general solution for 'less', but at least I can now
read the man pages to attempt to figure out how to fix the man pages output.
:-)
[Yes, I know I can read them elsewhere too]

Thanks for your help!

--
http://nationalsystems.com