Re: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81

At 02:20 PM 8/16/2006, Igor Peshansky wrote:
>On Wed, 16 Aug 2006, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
>Not only that, but the upstream maintainer actually suggested a couple of
>avenues of investigation to make the patch smaller by using functionality
>already built into the upstream make.  All that remains is for someone to
>actually "do the work" (tm).

Paul suggested adding the define
HAVE_DOS_PATHS to the cygwin build of gnu make:

Christopher countered with,

"There is no advantage using cygwin if you want to use a Makefile which
contains MS-DOS paths. Using MinGW makes perfect sense in that case.
Despite having suggested this repeatedly, it seems some users are still
not clear on this concept."

Latter in the thread, Paul said this:

"Regardless, I still wonder whether my idea of building make for a POSIX
environment with Cygwin, but setting HAVE_DOS_PATHS explicitly, would
work."

Eli  then replied with this:

"When HAVE_DOS_PATHS is defined, Make tries very hard to treat
backslashes and forward slashes in file names in the same manner.  The
only case I remember where we intentionally do NOT treat backslashes
as forward slashes is in the $wildcard function (and in fact in any
other situation that calls `glob' or `fnmatch').

So, it sounds like from the thread Paul suggested
setting HAVE_DOS_PATHS to true for the cygwin build,
but Christopher does not think that MS-DOS paths have
a place in a cygwin version of make.

I would be willing to try compiling the upstream make
with HAVE_DOS_PATHS to see if it works for me.  However,
if I report back that it works great, then what?
Christopher would you change the build for cygwin make
to have this option?

-Bill