Re: sshd error - Could not load host key

zs wrote:
Chris Croughton said the following:
On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 11:57:19 +0200, zs <admin@szalbot.homedns.org> wrote:

I was trying to start sshd with cygwin under windows.

I am getting the following error but the specified files exist in the /etc dir. What else could be a problem here? Thanks a lot for your input!

Could not load host key: /etc/ssh_host_key
Could not load host key: /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
Could not load host key: /etc/ssh_host_dsa_key
Disabling protocol version 1. Could not load host key
Disabling protocol version 2. Could not load host key
sshd: no hostkeys available -- exiting.

I've had this recently! I solved it by running (or possibly rerunning)
ssh-host-config. I'm not sure what that does differently from just
setting up the config files in /etc (I can't find a man or info page on
my system for it), but it seems to work (I know that if you answer it
correctly it will set it up as a server, so something presumably tweaks
the Registry; there are also questions about setting up a special user
under Windows for sshd and things which need administrative privileges).
This is the strange part. You see I had it working correctly. However, one day I decided to wipe out my cygwin installation and start afresh. The problem was that when I installed cygwin again, and then later ssh, I did not get all the questions which were asked with the first installation. It only asked about privilage separation. I have had this problem ever since.

I tried various things but to no avail. I have reinstalled ssh a few times and have run both ssh-host-config and ssh-user-config. Nothing has helped.

Well then let's start with the obvious.  Do these files exist?  What happens
when you delete them and run the config scripts?  Do you have other ssh
software installed that's not Cygwin?  If these clues and ideas aren't enough
to help you solve the problem, I'd recommend reading and following the problem
reporting guidelines found here:

<http://cygwin.com/problems.html>

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746