Re: Setup.exe requirements [was RE: Cygintl-3.dll was not found]

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU>. Reformatted.

Tevfik Karagülle wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Korn [mailto:dave.kornat artimi dot com]

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>. Thanks.

Sent: Friday, August 11, 2006 5:00 PM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: RE: Setup.exe requirements [was RE: Cygintl-3.dll was not found]

On 11 August 2006 15:30, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

It's also worth noting that the goal here was a subset of Cygwin functionality packaged as a monolithic (no matter how
small) install.
While the former is a potential supplement to "setup.exe",
the latter
is a step backward in terms of installation flexibility.
It seems to
me that any "setup.exe" replacement cannot be monolithic
installer or
provide only a subset of the available packages.

Well, just because it's a monolithic installer wouldn't stop it from reading setup.ini and downloading the latest versions of the base packages 'behind the scenes'.

Perhaps the easiest solution would be a customized version of setup.exe that doesn't present the GUI and runs through the sequences of operations with everything on default settings.

Hi,

My intention is to develop an alternative to Cygwin Setup. That means it
must support all dependencies, setup.ini and package repositories around.

I've thought that we can have a monolithic installer which installs a basic
environment out-of-the-box. It is very convenient for most of the users. I
have already developed an experimental one with Cygwin Base (54 packages,
about 13 MB) as content. When it is ready for review, it will have a 'Cygwin
Update' function, which can be used to update existing components with
dependency check. If you want to add/remove software to/from your Cygwin
installation, then there will be a kind of 'Cygwin Boost' function, where
you can pick packages you want to install or remove.

Framework I use to develop a monolithic installer is not limited by only
'Base'. It is customizable. That means you can have different startpoints to
your cygwin installation. One variant can only have 'Cygwin barebone' to
meet needs of a specific program (rsync for example?), while the other one
can be a full-featured OpenSSH server. Cygwin Update/Boost function will be
common to all those variants of monolithic installers.

Any comments ?

I guess I'm wondering why have an initial download of even the 13 MB if
those packages could be out-of-date.  One of the advantages of "setup.exe"
is that it is just a small program (<500K) that can be downloaded quickly
and then current packages can be installed from there.  I don't think we
want to loose the ability to install current packages no matter when they
choose (or chose) to download the installer.  Even with the option to
update, it still seems like we're adding an unnecessary step and download
burden.  Overall, the rest sounds great!

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746