RE: ruby irb doesn't seem to work

On 11 August 2006 15:31, Will Parsons wrote:

> Dave Korn wrote:
>> On 11 August 2006 14:37, Will Parsons wrote:
>>
>>> Starting up irb (interactive Ruby), I get:
>>>
>>>  $ irb
>>>  /usr/bin/ruby: no such file to load -- ubygems (LoadError)
>>>
>>> Did I omit to install something I need here?
>>

>>   Looks lke you omitted to install the leading letter 'R'.
>>

>>  <ba-dyum-tissshhh!>
>>
>>     sorry,
>>       DaveK
>
> Now what package is that in? ;-)
>
> Seriously, I think I've found the problem - I had an environment variable
>
>   RUBYOPT=-rubygems
>
> Unsetting the variable seems to fix the problem.  Apparently, I'd installed
> a non-Cygwin version of Ruby (which I didn't even remember doing), and this
> interferes with the Cygwin version.

  LOL, this happens so often and with so many languages it deserves an
acronym.

  TCOASSA!

  The missing R is still a clue though.

---------------------------------------------------<
dk@rainbow /artimi/tools/linux> ruby --help
Usage: ruby [switches] [--] [programfile] [arguments]
   [ ... snip ... ]
  -rlibrary       require the library, before executing your script
---------------------------------------------------<

  So, I dunno if "RUBYOPT=-rrubygems" would work better.  Not without having
rubygems installed, anyway, I don't suppose.  Or perhaps it's one of those
awful puns like "-liberty".

  Hmm.  It suggests here:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2497&group_id=126&atid=
576
that it's actually the cygwin package that sets the RUBYOPT variable, even
though it doesn't come with the rubygems library.  If so, that would be a
packaging issue.  OTOH, a quick scan through the package listing for cygwin
ruby doesn't show any postinstall script that could have done that, so I'm not
so sure if the report is accurate: I think you've probably put your finger on
it.

    cheers,
      DaveK