emacs (21.2-13) freezing with cygwin 1.5.21-2

Hello,

I recently installed the entire cygwin and cygwin/X environment from scratch
on a new machine.  After some minutes the main thread of emacs.exe
(according to Sysinternal's Process Explorer) starts consuming all the
resources of one of the processors on the machine and then is completely
unresponsive.  I know that in the past Process Explorer and cygwin.dll were
not compatible, but I read that this was resolved in the most recent
cygwin.dll releases, and indeed the behavior that used to occur with
previous versions of cygwin.dll no longer occurs.

I have verified that emacs.exe has this freezing behavior even when Process
Explorer has not been run.  And it occurs whether or not I have loaded any
files into emacs.

I have the same .emacs file on a different machine with a somewhat older
version of cygwin (1.5.18-1), and with the same version of emacs, and have
not seen this problem.

The main thread of emacs.exe has the follow stack trace when it is "idle"
and not yet in its frozen state:

ntkrnlpa.exe!KiUnexpectedInterrupt+0x121
ntkrnlpa.exe!ZwYieldExecution+0x1c5e
ntkrnlpa.exe!ZwYieldExecution+0x24dd
ntkrnlpa.exe!NtWaitForSingleObject+0x381
ntkrnlpa.exe!KeReleaseInStackQueuedSpinLockFromDpcLevel+0xb74
ntdll.dll!KiFastSystemCallRet
kernel32.dll!WaitForMultipleObjects+0x18
cygwin1.dll!aclcheck+0x8c85
cygwin1.dll!aclcheck+0x982a
cygwin1.dll!aclcheck+0x100d8
emacs.exe+0x916f
emacs.exe+0x9263
emacs.exe+0x102a5f
emacs.exe+0x13197f
emacs.exe+0x102eaa
emacs.exe+0x1028dc
emacs.exe+0x101f75
emacs.exe+0x102bef
emacs.exe+0x13197f
emacs.exe+0x1019fd
emacs.exe+0x10041a
emacs.exe+0x132988
emacs.exe+0x102eaa
emacs.exe+0x1028dc
emacs.exe+0x102576
emacs.exe+0x9f902
emacs.exe+0x9e679
emacs.exe+0xa23cc
emacs.exe+0xa76a7
emacs.exe+0x136c1b
emacs.exe+0x9ebd2
emacs.exe+0x9d6cf
emacs.exe+0xa4dd4
emacs.exe+0x9b522
emacs.exe+0x10052a
emacs.exe+0x9b0dd
emacs.exe+0x100049
emacs.exe+0x9b08c
emacs.exe+0x9aaed
emacs.exe+0x9ac41
emacs.exe+0x98f4b
cygwin1.dll!dll_crt0__FP11per_process+0xd88
cygwin1.dll!toascii+0x2396

This is the stack trace of the main thread once it has entered into the
freeze:

ntkrnlpa.exe!KiUnexpectedInterrupt+0x121
ntkrnlpa.exe!ZwYieldExecution+0x1c5e
hal.dll+0x2ef2
ntkrnlpa.exe!KeReleaseInStackQueuedSpinLockFromDpcLevel+0xb09
ntdll.dll!KiFastSystemCallRet

or sometimes it looks like this:

ntkrnlpa.exe!KiUnexpectedInterrupt+0x121
ntkrnlpa.exe!ZwYieldExecution+0x1c5e
hal.dll+0x2ef2
hal.dll!KeAcquireQueuedSpinLock+0x5
ntkrnlpa.exe!NtQueryInformationThread+0x2d3
ntkrnlpa.exe!KeReleaseInStackQueuedSpinLockFromDpcLevel+0xb74
ntdll.dll!KiFastSystemCallRet
cygwin1.dll!memmem+0x4f4

I have attached the output from cygcheck -s -v -r (as cygcheck.out). I have
also appended my .emacs file (as emacs.txt).

I have looked through the mailing list archives and can find nothing about
this, and a search on the web and in other news groups has also yielded
nothing.

Any info is of course appreciated, and if I can supply any further
information that would be helpful, please let me know.

Thank you,

-Eric