Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: tar-1.15.91-1

Eric Blake wrote:
> A new release of tar, 1.15.91-1, is available, replacing 1.15.1-4 as the
> current version.
>
> NEWS:
> =====
> This is a new beta-quality upstream release.

> * Incompatible changes
> ** Globbing
> Previous versions of GNU tar assumed shell-style globbing when
> extracting from or listing an archive. This behavior
> was not documented and was incompatible with traditional tar
> implementations.  Therefore, starting from this version, GNU tar
> no longer uses globbing by default.  To treat member names as
> globbing patterns, use --wildcards option.  If you wish tar to
> mimic the behavior of versions up to 1.15.90, add --wildcards to
> the value of the environment variable TAR_OPTIONS.

This is likely to break quite a few scripts using tar. Worth announcing
prominently in its own right, not just as part of the changelog.

> ** List files containing null-separated file names are detected
> and processed automatically.  It is no longer necessary to give
> the --null option.

Unfortunately, this detection code also outputs a 'warning' to stderr,
which (AFAICS) cannot be suppressed by an options. Messy.
(Noticed on Debian when this started showing up every time any .deb was
built, but I imagine this might affect some scripts driving tar on
Cygwin too.)

Max.