Re: Why are Windows paths broken in make 3.81?

On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 10:12:17AM -0700, Joachim Achtzehnter wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 06:03:43PM -0700, Joachim Achtzehnter wrote:
>>>There was also some difference in newline handling which required
>>>another set of sed changes, arghh!
>>
>>Well with detailed bug reports like this and the previous "make
>>provides an error on one of my complex makefiles" we're surely well on
>>the road towards perfection.
>
>This sarcastic response to one sentence out of a much longer post
>quoted in isolation suggests that a clarification is in order.  Neither
>of my previous posts, not the one about the "threadlist_ix -1" error
>and not the one I wrote specifically in response to a claim that the
>recent changes to make were "not an inconvenience", were written with
>any expectations for a fix.

Well, you *could* expect a fix if you provided enough details.

It is pretty frustrating to see content-free bug reports like "there was
also some difference in newline handling" or "My big/complicated
makefile SEGVs".  Whether you intended these as bug reports or not, they
are still reports of problems and no package maintainer wants to see
reported problems sent to thousand of people whether they were just
intended to blow off steam or not.

cgf