Re: query of installed apps on remote Winows

On Sun, Jul 16, 2006 at 12:51:38PM -1000, Richard Foulk wrote:
>Dave <kilroyd@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Richard Foulk wrote:
>> > Anyone know how the control-panel->Add/Remove-Programs facility works?
>>
>> Not particularly cygwin specific, and comprehensively covered at
>> Microsofts site. Anyway, here's some basic info.
>>
>> Each program needing an uninstall item has a key in:
>> /HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Uninstall
>>
>> See
>> http://windowssdk.msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms709926.aspx
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/247501
>>
>> > Is this something that might be supported by existing cygwin tools?
>>
>> Personally, I'd leave installing/uninstalling of non-cygwin apps to
>> windows. Can you imagine the queries coming to this list?
>>   - I couldn't uninstall notepad!
>>   - Executing random uninstaller broke my system! Why did cygwin allow that?
>>

>> Dave.
>
>I think you missed my point.  We're automating administration of large
>numbers (hundreds) of workstations.  Windows can't handle most of this
>stuff.  But with Cygwin we're finding ways.  It's cheap, fast, powerful,
>flexible, extensible.
>
>The mentality that keeps coming back to the limited set of Windows tools
>for administration is a very constricting and costly one.
>
>Thanks for the uninstall lead.  That's the key.  Looking good.  Regtool
>can accomplish the same things as expensive 3rd-party Windows tools,
>with a lot less grief.  (And without the straightjacket.)
>
>Not expecting this to become a mainstream part of this list, just asking
>for leads and experiences of others.  Cygwin is the key.  (My query was
>not for an uninstall.  If we're going to blame a development environment
>for all the problems it *might* cause in the future we're in big trouble.)
>
>This keeps getting better and better.

And more and more off-topic.  The fact that we have a program called
"regtool" doesn't mean that we cheerfully entertain questions about the
depths of the registry here.  There are better mailing lists or other
forums for gathering this type of information.

You really should be looking elsewhere for this type of information.

cgf