Imagemagick / GraphicsMagick on a brand new install

Hello everybody

I have just installed cygwin 1.5.20-1 on a fresh machine (4 fresh machines in fact), along with the ImageMagick package.

If I run ImageMagick's convert, mogrify or identify tools (and possibly others, I've not tried), they silently fail:

----

PPimley@bri-wk-xp-298 ~
$ convert -version

PPimley@bri-wk-xp-298 ~
$ convert -version && echo working

PPimley@bri-wk-xp-298 ~
$ convert -version || echo not working
not working

----
This is the same on all the machines I've tried.

I believe convert.exe is failing with exit code 53.  I've got a makefile that calls convert.exe, and if I run it, it says "make: *** [(target)] Error 53"

The equivalents from GraphicsMagick fail in exactly the same way.

Another set of machines (identical hardware, OS, etc) that had cygwin installed on it a few months ago all work fine:

$ convert -version
Version: ImageMagick 6.0.4 Tue Aug 10 2004 Q16 <http://www.imagemagick.org>
Copyright: Copyright (C) 1999-2004 ImageMagick Studio LLC
These machines run cygwin all day, every day, and have had no previous upsets.  On one of these good machines, I ran setup.exe and let it install new versions of whatever it wanted.  If I ran convert.exe afterwards, it failed in exactly the same way.

If I run setup.exe on another 'good' machine, I can see from the 'select packages' page which packages would be updated.  ImageMagick is not in that list, and neither is any library that is obviously required.  The full list is:

Package	old version	good version

binutils 20050610-1 20060709-1
coreutils 5.94-1 5.97-1
curl 7.15.1-1 7.15.4-1
cygwin 1.5.19-4 1.5.20-1
gzip 1.3.5-1 1.3.5-2
libcurl3 7.15.1-1 7.15.4-1
make 3.80-1 3.81-1
mingw-runtime 3.9-2 3.10-1
openssl 0.9.8a-1 0.9.8a-1
openssl097 0.9.7i-1 0.9.7j-1
python 2.4.1-1 2.4.3-1
run 1.1.9-1 1.1.10-1
rxvt 20050409-1 20050409-3
suite3270 (none) 3.3.4p7-1
tcltk 20030901-1 20060202-1
texinfo 4.8-2 4.8-3
vim 6.4-4 7.0.035-1
xorg-x11-base, xorg-x11-bin, xorg-x11-bin-dlls, xorg-x11-bin-Indir, xorg-x11-etc, xorg-x11-libs-data 6.8.2.0-1 6.8.99.901-1
xorg-x11-fenc 6.8.1.0-2 6.8.99.901-1
xorg-x11-fnts 6.8.1.0-3 6.8.99.901-1
xorg-x11-xwin 6.8.2.0-4 6.8.99.901-1

On one of the new machines, I tried reverting the cygwin package back to 1.5.19-4.  I ran convert.exe again, and I got a Windows dialog box complaining about not being able to find cygdpstk-1.dll.

Can anybody give me some pointers on what would be a good thing to try next?  I'm out of ideas.

Thanks in advance,
Peter Pimley

Information contained in this e-mail is intended for the use of the addressee only, and is confidential and may be the subject of Legal Professional Privilege.  Any dissemination, distribution, copying or use of this communication without prior permission of the addressee is strictly prohibited.The views of the author may not necessarily constitute the views of Kuju Entertainment Ltd. Nothing in this email shall bind Kuju Entertainment Ltd in any contract or obligation.

The contents of an attachment to this e-mail may contain software viruses which could damage your own computer system. While Kuju Entertainment has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we cannot accept liability for any damage which you sustain as a result of software viruses. You should carry out your own virus checks before opening the attachment.