Re: rsync over ssh hang issue understood

Lev Bishop wrote:
On 7/7/06, Darryl Miles wrote:
Dave Korn wrote:
> On 07 July 2006 01:31, Darryl Miles wrote:
The underlying socket is still being used in blocking mode.

Socket?? What is this socket?

Sorry s/socket/pipe/.

Which means
when we write write 1024 bytes of data but only one PIPE buffer is free
(ulimit -p) a POSIX kernel would allow:

What is "one PIPE buffer (ulimit -p)"?

See below...

Non-blocking:

write(fd, buffer, 1024) = 512
write(fd, &buffer[512], 512) = -1 (EAGAIN)

Blocking:

write(fd, buffer, 1024) = 512
write(fd, &buffer[512], 512) = [blocking occurs until] 512

SUSv3 does not permit this behaviour. It is quite clear on this point: "If the O_NONBLOCK flag is clear, a write request may cause the thread to block, but on normal completion it shall return nbyte."

Okay this is fine too. I believe the applications which we are seeing problems with are using non-blocking mode.

I would guess under WIN32 we end up with fhandler.cc:raw_write() doing:

WriteFile(hPipe, buffer, 1024, &writtenLen, 0) = [blocking occurs until]
TRUE (writtenLen=1024)

This gives the SUSv3-mandated behaviour for blocking pipes (modulo signal-interruptibility).

For POSIX blocking mode yes of course, but for POSIX non-blocking mode we are relying on the information coming back from NtQueryInformationFile to indicate that our WriteFile() won't block providing our writes are <= PIPE_BUF length.

What does "simulate 'ulimit -p'" mean? ulimit -p works just fine on cygwin:
$ ulimit -p
8

I had a complete misunderstanding on that, I was thinking the application would tweak the kernel buffering between processes. But this appears to be just a reporting mechanism for PIPE_BUF size at runtime.

What was the reason the existing code in CVS for select.cc was disabled?

Maybe it would help to better understand the reasons/cases where the disabled code failed.

Darryl