Re: Could not touch file when specify full path in Cygwin in .bat file

On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 03:22:05PM -0400, wu_xiaomin@emc.com wrote:
> Hi, Cygwin support group,
>
> I have problem to touch a file when specify the full path. Here are
> some examples. MKS works fine
>
> -- Filename with special characters
>
> [snip]

Somewhere a kitten died.

A couple of comments.

1.  If you're going to make effective use of Cygwin, you might want to
consider using POSIX paths and try and forget everything you learned
about DOS and cmd.exe invocations.  Put another way, using Cygwin will
make your life easer, and you'll be able to run faster and jump higher,
but only if you take advantage of the features it offers.  I'm convinced
that you had as much trouble typing/tabbing through that noise as I did
trying to read it.

2.  Since you know the file name contains "special characters", you
should know that each such character needs first to be escaped;
otherwise, it will be interpreted by the shell as ... well ... special.
To the shell, they're special.  To everyone else, they're somewhere
between cute and pathological.  I would advise against making regular
use of such characters where possible.

The following should get you started:

$ man -P 'less -p QUOTING' bash

Regards.