Re: window resizing not updating COLUMNS and LINES

On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 05:40:04PM -0400, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>>
>>> I am the list administrator for cygwin and cygwin-xfree.
>>>
>>> I want this discussed on cygwin-xfree.
>>>
>>> Is that now clear?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> Nevermind.  I apologize for the harshness of the above.
>>
>> My reason for wanting to discuss this in cygwin-xfree is because I
>> thought the xterm maintainer would have lots of insight into this
>> problem.
>>
>> If you want to take your chances in the cygwin list, then feel free.
>
>It's not just X or rxvt.
>
>Starting bash as
>C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -i
>
>/c> shopt checkwinsize
>checkwinsize    on
>/c> export COLUMNS=80
>/c> printenv COLUMNS
>80
># resize window to 120 columns
>/c> printenv COLUMNS
>80
>/c> echo $COLUMNS
>80
>/c> stty -a
>speed 38400 baud; rows 27; columns 120; line = 0;
>intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^H; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
>eol2 = <undef>; swtch = ^Z; start = ^Q; stop = ^S;
>
>susp = ^Z; rprnt = ^R; werase = ^W; lnext = ^V; flush = ^O; min = 1;
>time = 0;
>-parenb -parodd cs8 -hupcl -cstopb cread -clocal -crtscts
>-ignbrk brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl ixon
>-ixoff -iuclc -ixany -imaxbel
>opost -olcuc -ocrnl onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0 vt0 ff0
>isig icanon iexten echo -echoe -echok -echonl -noflsh -tostop -echoctl
>-echoke

Yes, the more I think about this, the more that I can see that I was
doubly wrong here.  I shouldn't have redirected or blocked the original
message since clearly the shell has to be the program which sets the
LINES/COLUMNS environment variable.  It can't be done by xterm or rxvt.

So, either bash isn't doing the right thing or SIGWINCH isn't being
sent to bash by the cygwin DLL.

The above hint is my penance for being too quick and too harsh for
anyone who wants to debug the problem further.

cgf