Re: "fork problem" debugging

On 05/28/2006, Torfinn Ottesen wrote:
Igor Peshansky <pechtcha <at> cs.nyu.edu> writes:
> > full links in your message, I don't know whether you cited my message
> > among them without a lot of cutting-and-pasting). I would like to help,
> > but all information I have at this point is rather negative... One
> > definite data point is that unloading and reloading just Cygwin1.dll (by
> > exiting all Cygwin processes) fixes the problem for me (until the next
> > time I run that resource-intensive script that reproduces the problem).

I (Torfinn, using MS Win XP Pro, service pack 1) have not tried Microsofts
claimed fix for the unexpected behaviour when running many processes, more than 50 (sic - counting more than 50 even before serious number crunching
work). Reason, see: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824422

<Quote Microsoft>
Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems
that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot
guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor
incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
<End quote>

The key words here are "If you use Registry Editor incorrectly".  In other
words, if you modify something other than what's recommended, you might
cause yourself other problems.  This is standard boiler-plate legalese that's
spewed whenever mention of changing the registry is uttered by MS (and
others).  While you are free to interpret it as you wish and you are, of
course, under no obligation to make these or any other changes in the
registry via the registry editor, you should not feel like the above means
that you should not edit your registry.  For those occassions where you do
edit the registry yourself, just do so with care.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 838 Washington Street (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746