Re: Cygwin: texi2dvi stumbles over texinfo.tex

On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 12:13:03PM -0500, Karl Berry wrote:
>>On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 12:35:53PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>i.e., the patch that Ralf Wildenhues previously sent out is correct
>>(which shouldn't be too surprising since it came from the texinfo
>>release).  There should be no accommodations made for "Windows" when
>>running under Cygwin.
>>
>>I understand that parts of the previously posted patch (which is
>>incorporated in to Cygwin's release of texinfo) may be too draconian for
>>a native Windows version of texinfo out there but I wasn't really
>>interested in getting things working for native Windows.  The fact that
>>a COMSPEC environment variable exists doesn't have any bearing in a
>>Cygwin environment.  And, Cygwin wants to use /dev/null, not "NUL".
>
>Ok, I applied the change to system.h, so that NULL_DEVICE will be
>/dev/null under Cygwin.  Makes sense.
>
>Ralf's texi2dvi changes are clearly not generally applicable.

This wasn't Ralf's patch.  It was the patch that I use in the cygwin
release of texinfo.

>E.g., Eli has spent a lot of time making Texinfo (and everything else)
>work under DJGPP.  I can't just blow that away.

That's why I said it was "too draconian" in the part of my email which
you snipped (and which I put back above).

>If there's a way to detect when it's running under Cygwin, then the
>changes could be conditionalized as needed, I presume.

There is a consistent theme here.  What path separator do you use?
The same as Linux.  What null device do you use?  The same as Linux.
How would you detect if you were running under cygwin?  Similarly to
Linux, one technique would be to use "uname -s".

>I'll attach the current CVS texi2dvi (there have been tons of changes)
>in case you or Ralf someone feels like working on this.

When I release my version of texinfo, I'm happy to continue to just nuke
all of the COMSPEC/Comspec/break-the-path-apart-stuff and just use
"which".  IMO, this is one of those cases where it doesn't pay to be too
clever.  You already know what target the script is going to be running
on so shouldn't it be tailored to the target in a configure step rather
than checking each time?

But then I seem to vaguely recall this being discussed at one point
and maybe this has already been endlessly debated.

cgf