RE: multiple commands on a single line seem to run in the background automatically

Nico Valster
Software Engineer
Advanced Multimode Platform
Mobile Devices Business

Motorola B.V.
Marconibaan 57
3439 MR Nieuwegein
P.O. Box 754
3430 AT Nieuwegein
The Netherlands
Email     : nvalster@motorola.com
Phone     : +31 (0)30 6001642
Fax       : +31 (0)30 6001660

Behalf
> Of Bob Rossi
> Sent: Sunday, May 28, 2006 6:36 PM
> To: cygwin@cygwin.com
> Subject: Re: multiple commands on a single line seem to run in the
> background automatically
>
> On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 02:19:02PM +0100, Valster Nico-anv009 wrote:
> > I'm working on a bash script to automate the build process. The
script
> > calls, depending on the parameters the Microsoft VC6 compiler and/or
the
> > GreenHills compiler and/or the Cygwin GCC for one or more
> > project/makefiles.
> > If I invoke the script like:
> >     c:/bat/sbuild ......
> > things work pretty well. However if I invoke it as
> >     cd
/cygdrive/d/CCase/anv009_SPRINT_8/SPRINT_VOB/SPRINT;c:/bat/sbuild

> Is it possible you forgot to add the new line escape characther?
> Try:
>      cd
/cygdrive/d/CCase/anv009_SPRINT_8/SPRINT_VOB/SPRINT;c:/bat/sbuild
> \
>
> Bob Rossi

I'm not sure I understand your answer correctly. I type everything as
one single line, no new lines except at the very end, so the command
line easily exceeds 80 characters.
However your answer made me think about command line length, so I
started to experiment with shorter lines, i.e. less parameters and
shorter words as parameters. No problems showed up anymore.
To make sure, I reran the exact same command as failed before by getting
it via the history command (to exclude all possibilities of typos either
the first time or at the rerun). Again no problem. Since I ran into the
stated problem multiple times but as far as I recall, only at the end of
a working day (since this is a kind of bootlegged project), I start to
think that something gets goofed up in (supposedly) the windows
machinery during my daily activities which bytes Cygwin. If the problem
shows up again, I'll test this theory be rebooting.

Nico Valster