PROBLEM: Internet apps spit out error about not being able to connect to internet + TEMP_SOLUTION

This was the problem before:
In Cygwin, when I want to check out source code from cvs, it spits out
something that has to do with: cannot create socket.  When I want to browse
the WWW with lynx, it spits out an error about cannot access the startpage.
Now, just recently, when I want to start up X11, it spits out cannot create
socket.  The internet features worked before some time, but now it is
completely blocked!
---
BTW, is this a problem with Cygwin or is this a problem with my config?

Now, there's a temporary solution who can't seem to reconfigure security
software [or their security software won't let them]:
NOTE: This will involve you creating a new batch file (.bat).
1. Open Folder Options, click View, and then uncheck "Hide file extensions
for known file types."
2. Right click on the desktop, point to New, and then click Text Document.
3. Rename it to shell.bat, or just name it whatever, just make sure that the
.bat extension is in place.
4. A dialog will appear cautioning you about changing the file type.  Ignore
it by clicking "OK" or "Yes."
5. Right click the new file you created and click "Edit."
6. Notepad will open with a blank file.
7. Please fill the file with these commands:
@echo off

D:
set CYGWINBASE=C:\cygwin
set HOME=%CYGWINBASE%\home\[username]
set PATH=%PATH%;%CYGWINBASE%\bin

chdir=%CYGWINBASE%\bin
cmd
8. When you are done, close Notepad.  A dialog will appear asking if you
want to save; just click "Yes."
9. Double-click the .bat file.  All these commands will execute, and then it
will bring up a normal command prompt.
10.Execute your normal cygwin commands.

Note that if you modified the original cygwin.bat file, you may want to put
additional arguments in the new .bat file, like I did here:
@echo off
color 0f

D:
set CYGWINBASE=D:\LH34IG2HGB\cygwin
set HOME=D:\LH34IG2HGB\HOME
set VC="D:\LH34IG2HGB\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC"
set VCVARS=%VC%\vcvarsall.bat
set PSDK="D:\LH34IG2HGB\PFILES\Microsoft Platform SDK"
call %VCVARS%
set PATH=%PATH%;%CYGWINBASE%\bin

title Mixed-Mode Command Prompt
cls
chdir=%CYGWINBASE%\bin
cmd

BTW, with some more investigating, I found out that this problem arose from
/usr/bin/sh.

Charli